Author Topic: Bavaria 32 or........  (Read 3882 times)

IMC6567

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2008
Bavaria 32 or........
« on: December 15 2016, 21:05 »
Hi Bavaria community

I am looking at investing in a 2012 Bavaria 32 here in Italy, 1 owner, no charter, 360 Engine hours. I have sailed on the same model boat numerous times and have just gained my RYA Day Skipper Licence. Being around numerous sailing types on the Yachtmaster course I have been subject to many different opinions.
With my £50K budget i have negotiated down the £62K asking price and believe it offers good value for money for cruising round the Tuscan coastline and islands. My indecision, is the view of so called experienced boat owners stating the likes of a 2008 Dufour 34 at similar money is a safer bet. Others tout the benefits of Beneteau of similar size and money but some 4 years older.

Any constructive views welcome.

regards

Ian

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Bavaria 32 or........
« Reply #1 on: December 15 2016, 21:32 »
The Farr hull gives this 32 a very good sailing performance.  Build quality is excellent.  It's difficult to understand why people are suggesting you should spend the same money on older boats which may not be as well constructed.

The interior of the 32 is light and spacious, and is in line with current trends.  If you're possibly concerned about resale value in a few years' time, I'd think a 2012 boat would be easier to sell than an older-style design.

The only thing I don't like about the boat is the design of the superstructure, especially the rectangular windows.

IMC6567

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 15 2016, 22:04 »
Thank you Old Salt

I am of the same opinion, much the same as buying a car I guess! No idea what a Farr Hull is but as an old salt I guess you do. A teacher on my course believes the Dufour 34 is best in class and seems to have little or no opinion on Bavaria. I like the drop down stern of the Bav32 as I can see my grand kids using it with comfort to swim off the back of the boat? Is there a view that the 32 does not support a true genoa sail and has to rely on a Jib due to the position of the stays? Excuse my lack of knowledge here.

Ian

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 16 2016, 12:09 »
A Farr hull is a hull designed by Farr Yacht Design, the world's leading designer of racing and cruising yachts.  The hull design gives it good performance, stability and comfort.

As for the jib size, recent design trends have led to larger mains and smaller jibs.  As you've sailed on a 32 many times, you should know that it performs well.

Your teacher's fondness for the Dufour 34 is only his subjective opinion.  If you ask 10 people for their favourite 32-34ft yacht, you'd get a lot of different answers.  So you can ignore his preference and make your own decision.