Author Topic: Bavaria 32 (2003) Diesel Tank - draw-off fittings leaking  (Read 4025 times)

Bubble

The diesel feed/return and two spare connections (joined by a clear plastic pipe) are made using rubber (might be nitrile) bungs marked UCC 2802 8.0mm. In order to get diesel to flow into new filters after changing them I overfilled the tank and noticed that all four rubber bungs are weeping slightly. I will not normally overfill the tank, of course, but when heeled the connectors will obviously be in contact with diesel so I would like to address the problem.

I have found a single link to purchase replacement bungs http://www.phoenixhydraulics.co.uk/Products/Parker-UCC-Return-Bushes/2802 but they are not in stock.

I am wondering if others have had problems with these bungs leaking and what solutions people have found. It seems to me the the options are:
1. replace the bungs with new ones, if they can be obtained.
2. remove the existing ones and caulk with something suitable and replace (anyone done this? what stuff to use?)
3. other solutions?

Having spent hours on the internet the only source of identical new bungs seems to be the link above.

Grateful for any help.

Jonathan

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Bavaria 32 (2003) Diesel Tank - draw-off fittings leaking
« Reply #1 on: August 12 2016, 12:28 »
I used a sealing compound that is suitable both for diesel and plastic. Can't remember the name now - the tube is in the boat - will be at the boat during next week.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Bubble

« Reply #2 on: August 12 2016, 13:54 »
Thanks for the reply. Will be interested to hear what you used.

Did you remove the bungs completely or just prise them out a bit to put the sealer in?

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: August 15 2016, 13:22 »
It's called Seal-All Gas&Oil
http://eclecticproducts.com/products/seal-all.html

I had it bought in the US, I think every Home Depot carries it, but it can be purchased online through Amazon and Ebay.
I took out the bungs completely, cleaned the area with some solvent and let it dry, spread the sealant around the hole and put back the bungs
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Bubble

« Reply #4 on: August 15 2016, 13:58 »
Many thanks, very helpful. I have bitten the bullet & ordered new bungs so will do a belt & braces job using your suggestion plus the new bungs.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 16 2016, 10:41 »
Are the internal pipes a push fit onto the bungs?

Bubble

« Reply #6 on: August 16 2016, 12:00 »
Yes, they are a push-fit (see the photo attached to my first post), as far as I can tell.

I haven't got the new bungs yet and haven't removed the old ones, but I think they are just a plain rubber (I hope diesel-suitable!) with a 8mm hole through.

hollmanr

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 32
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #7 on: April 28 2021, 10:36 »
Hi, apologies for reviving an old post  :) I have the same problem on my Bavaria 32, with diesel weeping out of the 4 grommets (diesel out and return as well as the 2 connections for the transparent pipe on top of the tank). Will replacing these grommets be enough to stop the weeping ? if so where can these grommets be sourced ? Also , what is the purpose of the transparent piece of pipe on top of the tank ? Would it be possible to remove this pipe and close off the holes, or perpaps use one hole to suck out some diesel from bottom of tank to inspect ?

Thanks