Author Topic: Anchor chain and Deck pressure washer  (Read 3003 times)

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Anchor chain and Deck pressure washer
« on: February 22 2017, 16:44 »
Hi

i have just ordered a pump kit to wash the anchor chain and the deck. it runs on 12 v. should i run it of fresh water or salt water? has anyone installed this and how as the pipe work been routed? my thoughts were pump in heads,(where it is easy to pick up either salt or fresh water and running one outlet to the chain locker and the other one to the transom.

your comments and thoughts will be appreciated.

regards

Abby

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Anchor chain and Deck pressure washer
« Reply #1 on: February 22 2017, 20:02 »
Transom normally already has a fresh water shower built in. A washdown pump is typically seawater fed (better for the teak anyways, and no point wasting freshwater to clear the mud off the anchor). Washing the salt off chain and anchor with freshwater at sea is not really practical, as it would waste a huge amount of water. Perhaps if you have a watermaker fitted and/or huge tanks.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: February 22 2017, 20:42 »
Thank you.

i thought as it only uses 5 litres per min it would be minimal usage. but it makes sense using salt water.
cant wait to get the boat back in the water and into brighton so i can do more work in it.

regards

Abby

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: February 23 2017, 10:19 »
Hi Abby

I agree with Yngmar about using seawater - perhaps have a coarse filter on the inlet hose, and when you've finished, run a litre of fresh water to reduce a build-up of salt inside the pump. That's what I do with my pump (although it's a greater flow that 5l/m so you could use less). My pump unit is portable so it's easy for me to swap over.
ATB

Mark