Author Topic: Adding a (non-Selden) Bowspit  (Read 9282 times)

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Adding a (non-Selden) Bowspit
« on: October 22 2014, 19:28 »
I would like to fit a top-down furler to improve ease of use for my cruising chute as we sail short handed and it's nearly had me for breakfast on several occasions :-\. The fitting of this second furling drum requires at least 350mm clearance in front of the existing furler. To do this I need to fit a bowspit but am not keen on the Selden solution. Anyone fitted a bespoke stainless steel one for example?

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: Adding a (non-Selden) Bowspit
« Reply #1 on: November 03 2014, 12:57 »
I have a selden one , cant think of why anyone wouldnt want one , they are excellent , to make one up yourself would cost near as much , anyway selden got my vote and its prooved its worth .

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 03 2014, 19:53 »
While lower cost is a consideration I am more concerned with size and the Selden looks very bulky to me  :o I haven't seen any other products on the market either.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 05 2015, 10:47 »
HI Dawntreader, Have a B40 2009 with the selden bowsprit fitted. Also started using a Wichard top down furler for the asymmetric spinnaker, same problem short handed sailing. combination works a treat.
Cheers
Mark
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: February 05 2015, 16:35 »
Mark, thanks for the info. I tried to source the Selden parts from Allspars in Plymouth. I first gave my details to them at the Southampton boat show, then two visits to their site in Plymouth, three emails and two telephone calls (not returned) between October and December - and they still couldn't provide all the parts. Not going back there!
I am now using a local rigger to fit the mast track, Selden bowsprit and GX-10 furler for me  :tbu

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 14 2015, 09:23 »
Dawntreader, pop along to G11 and see mine, I fitted a Seldon bowsprit a year ago but got a special bracket made to carry it of the stem post after little luck or progress from the professionals.  Best thing we done, the furling chute is excellent, we went for a Elvstrom Furlstrom, not cheap but can sail from 60-70 degrees to downwind.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: February 14 2015, 14:20 »
Thanks - you're up behind Black Pearl in Galmpton at the moment and I have already pointed you out to my rigger so he can see what I need  :tbu Hope the ARC went well with you :kewl

stevem

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: February 26 2015, 20:09 »
I am currently buying a Genikker and furler from Jeckells For my new boat.Not sure how the Seldon bowsprit will fit on the deck of the vision 42 as it looks as though it will have to go over the top of the chain locker, we will see.
Have either of you used one of these sails singlehanded?

Regards,

Stevem

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #8 on: February 27 2015, 13:59 »
Given good conditions I use a Cruising Chute with snuffer single handed. If your set-up is right it's quite easy.
We have a bespoke 'Bowsprite' which is fixed to the 2nd bow roller- we leave it deployed all season. The only problem we had was the foredeck/ bow roller assembly lifting off the hull, after using the Chute in strong winds. We had a piece of stainless bar fixed to the forestay bow fixing, which prevents the bow roller lifting.

John

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #9 on: February 09 2017, 16:26 »
Got any pics of that ?

My pole sits in hoop on top of port roller i had a upside down extended u bracket made to mount it on and attached lot to bow roller withelongated drop nose pin , will replace lost pin with bolt and nyloc nut ;)

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #10 on: February 09 2017, 17:53 »
Steven

I have a 2014 Vision 46. My Sejden pole does  not have to go over anchor locker   The ring is fitted to the very forward part of the foredeck backed up with a stainless plate. Works fine   I have a Senden GX too down Furler

Will be back on her next week so will send photos if you are interested
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: February 09 2017, 18:43 »
Thanks for all the responses. I went down the Selden route with the bowsprit and GX10 furler. Used it plenty of times now and would recommend this option. Slight issue sometimes with the top snagging in lighter winds as there is not much room up there but nothing that a bit of tugging doesn't sort out. My wife can deploy and recover the cruising chute on her own too  ;D

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: February 09 2017, 18:51 »
Dawntreader, I find sometimes halyard tension is a key variable especially in light winds. If it snags at the top tighten the halyard ever so slightly and this seems to help cure it. I like mine too......
Ian

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: February 10 2017, 08:33 »
Kibo, thanks for the tip  :tbu

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: February 17 2017, 17:18 »
SteveM.

Here are the photos of my pole fitted to Vision 46   This was fitted under Selden tech and supplying dealership supervision on delivery of the new boat   The forward ring is installed on the very forward part of the deck and is backed up with stainless plate underneath. This part of the boat is strong and I have had no issues so far
As you can see this does not interfere with the anchor locker

Hope this is useful
Ian

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: February 19 2017, 06:43 »
Just a warning when fitting the bowsprits to most Bavarias. I can't comment on the Vision 46.

The deck is not designed to take an upward force near the bow and the upward force on the bowsprit can be great.

This is why you can obtain a "ring" that can be attached to the forestay to take the load. The forestay is attached to the hull, not the deck and is designed for greater loads.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: February 19 2017, 08:26 »

The deck is not designed to take an upward force near the bow and the upward force on the bowsprit can be great.

This is why you can obtain a "ring" that can be attached to the forestay to take the load. The forestay is attached to the hull, not the deck and is designed for greater loads.

......and that includes not using the anchor roller bar either (unless it's been anchored to the forestay mounting).

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: February 19 2017, 16:18 »
Completely agree on the above advice.

Have to admit I was nervous on the fitting when it was discussed initially but reassured since it was fitted with the Selden tech and the supplying dealer supervising.  It is holding up well with no signs of wear after nearly 3 years.

2013 onward Vision models are slightly different in the foredeck area since the lower part of the forestay and the furler are led under the forward area of the foredeck into the anchor locker so there is no fixing point option above deck level on the forestay.

The fixing point for my ring shown is not part of the actual foredeck per se but a separate triangular moulding of much stronger build than the foredeck on that part of a cruiser. I previously had a cruiser 42 and had the ring fitted to the forestay as described by above posts.

My reply was aimed squarely at the post wrt the Vision 42 question by Stevem

Happy kite flying everyone....
Ian

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
« Reply #18 on: February 20 2017, 04:13 »
Kibo,

I can see from the photo the issue with the Vision design.

The forestay on mine is attached to a steel bar that is attached to the hull.

I would recommend that, if possible, that the backing plate on deck be attached to the forestay attachment in that case.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: February 20 2017, 14:31 »
Thanks Craig

I think that is a good suggestion. It would be quite easy to do since the forestay attachment plate to the bow/hull is close underneath where the backing plate for the ring is. I think either a stainless bar or a cable should be easy to fabricate.

Good suggestion for other Vision owners too.
Ian