Author Topic: 12 volt panel battery lights  (Read 3580 times)

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
12 volt panel battery lights
« on: July 18 2016, 16:48 »
Probably a similar arrangement on most Bavarias built 10-15 years ago.
On my 12 volt panel (ESW201) on a 2004 32, underneath the gauge that measures the battery charge and water tank levels there are 4 battery symbols and some LEDS. 2 are seen, 1 is red and the bottom one is yellow.
I know that the red one will illuminate when the battery charge falls below 10.8v, but I do not know about the other 3.
The green ones I have never seen illuminated and the yellow one is always on.
I can't find anything in the Bavaria handbook.

I bought the boat in April, after receiving a very good survey apart from minor problems detected. She is in lovely condition and is low hrs, but there seems to be quite a few electrical problems.
I I eventually sorted out was the power supply to the signal booster for the tv. I managed to trace the supply. It was hard wired into the wiring for the mast head light and only comes on when the mast head light switch is turned on. There are others I won't bore you with.

Thanks

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: 12 volt panel battery lights
« Reply #1 on: July 20 2016, 08:56 »
I trie to declare, sorry for my pure english.

It is a german word there cold Hauptschalter means main switch. so the yellow one lightens al the time the main switch is in position on. If all other switches are of you can see by one view that the main switch is on.

the two green lights i not now exactly, i think it is thomething like loading together or one load the other one. Maybe you get a ne batterie loader which load both battery for there one.

I had have an older Bav from 1994. But without these lamps but same panel.
Hope it helps
regards

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: July 20 2016, 09:57 »
Thanks Paul, onboard my boat a couple of days ago I'd made a note to try to find the meaning of the word "Hauptschalter," and so your explanation has been very helpful. Thanks again.
Like Fenders, I cannot recall having ever seen the green lights he refers to illuminated, but then half of the green lights (all those in the left column) on the panel itself don't come on when the respective switch is operated. It's probably something quite simple, but so long as the switch has done what is needed I can live without the green indicater which is only telling me that the position of the switch which I can see clearly enough anyway, is now in the on position.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: July 20 2016, 10:35 »
On my panel (slightly different, but similar generation), some of those LEDs are simply wired to nothing at all. By the labels on the back they seem to be for the originally fitted charger, which was replaced when a PO upgraded the DC system. There are also two different options for this original charger, and only one of them had wiring to all the LEDs. So it might just not be used on every boat.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
« Reply #4 on: July 20 2016, 11:52 »
but so long as the switch has done what is needed I can live without the green indicater which is only telling me that the position of the switch which I can see clearly enough anyway

Happened to me as well - removed the whole PCB and found that the traces were totally corroded. Tried to clean and apply some solder to tin them but this did not work so I used some wire-wrap thin wires to bypass the traces.

As to the LED's in question - I also do not remember right now if they do or not turn on in my boat, but the legend seems to be very clear:
middle light (in between the battery I,II icons) probably should light when pressing the switch to check voltage level of each battery - maybe as a backup for the analog meter (or maybe wired in boats where there is no such meter).
The left light with the battery+rectifier icon - probably indicates that the charger is connected.
Note that according tot he icon the red led indicates voltage only for battery II.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
« Reply #5 on: July 20 2016, 16:20 »
Paul

Thanks for your translation.Most helpful.

Regarding the red LED. This I know will illuminate if the voltage drops below 10.8v.

I would agree with your answers regarding the other LEDs. It now makes sense that the yellow LED  above "Hauptschalter" will come on when the battery isolator switch has been turned on.

As mentioned above, I bought the boat in April. Its condition is very good. However, there have been a few electrical issues. This is one of them that I would like to understand.
I also managed to change the neon lights on the shore panel as both of these were kaput.
Maybe I am being fussy. But if a panel has lights on it that do not work, firstly I need to know why that is and hopefully rectify, and secondly, the lights are there for a reason. If they light up that means it is meant to tell you something. Either something doesn't work or something is turned on.Back onboard tomorrow to take another look prior to a couple of days away to the IOW.

Thanks again for all your input.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: July 20 2016, 23:26 »
I removed my panel lamps years ago, so if they come on now it means I've left the locker light on!
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator