Author Topic: Advice - New 37  (Read 8659 times)

MikeP

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 34 2017
  • Boat Year: 2017
Advice - New 37
« on: June 15 2016, 14:37 »
I am seriously considering ordering a new 37 Cruiser for delivery 2017 and would be grateful for any feedback from current owners on what options to add & leave and if they are happy with their purchase.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Advice - New 37
« Reply #1 on: June 15 2016, 18:32 »
Good choice. The main choice is single or twin aft cabins. As usual twins result in less storage, smaller toilet compartment and smaller chart table. The boat forward is the same on each.

As for equipment, the packages are all better value than installing items individually, so the main ones (navigation, comfort and anchoring) are usual. The Garmin gear including autopilot works well. The three main high value ones then are bow thruster, teak or fake teak decking and upgraded sails. The first is worth having if you have a marina berth, and the factory install is good value. Deck is personal choice. Basic sails are adequate. In mast works well for ease of use. Heating is best installed afterwards as the factory fit is very basic. The other choices are mainly on finishes and furnishings which are personal taste.

There is a promotion on at the moment with bundled extras which represent a good saving on the previous list price and may be worth looking at.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 15 2016, 19:35 »
I bought my Cruiser 37 in 2014, and loaded it with options at the time.  Some of those "options" were really essentials.  Bavaria keep messing about with specifications, so I'm not sure what's currently standard or optional.  But I'd say the 2-cabin version is the one to go for - the heads/shower area is much better, and you get a proper chart table.  Go for the second water tank.  And extra battery capacity. And the larger D1-30 engine. And an autopilot. And lifeline gates. And the extra winches. And certainly a bow thruster if you plan to use marinas.

It's important to specify most things as factory-fitted, rather than dealer-fitted, and get the dealer's written pledge for this (because they'll try otherwise to charge you the option price and then do a cheap install themselves).  The quality of factory installation is excellent, far better than the average dealer.  Exceptions are heating (as I believe the factory fit still doesn't include an outlet in the heads/shower) and the sprayhood (CJ Marine or Tecsew do a better job).

The Garmin equipment is very good, and all integrates seamlessly. The factory installation is very neatly wired.  I have plotter, radar, VHF with AIS, instrumentation, autopilot, and it all just works beautifully.  I also went for the Fusion sound package, which is very good, has saloon and cockpit speakers, radio/CD/iPod connectivity, and has a fixed remote control in the cockpit and a handheld remote in the saloon.

I had a factory-fitted microwave, which wasn't cheap, but it's a good unit and is very nicely installed.

My previous boat was a Hallberg-Rassy, which I only sold because the teak deck was within a couple of years of needing replacing. I vowed never to have another teak deck! So I specified complete DuraDeck fake teak on my Cruiser.  It looks good, and it's virtually zero maintenance - just a wash with a sudsy sponge now and again.  I'd seriously suggest you consider it, especially as the standard Bavaria teak is only about 6mm thick.

So what's the boat like? It sails well; I have in-mast furling.  It's quick.  It feels safe and competent. I usually singlehand it, and find it to be very easy.  In the marina, it's cosy and welcoming.

Bad points? Not many really, only a few niggles.  The pressure pump for the hot/cold water is incredibly noisy; I'm considering relocating it to the cockpit locker. As well as blinds for the windows and hatches, it would have been nice to have blinds for the companionway doors.  The fuel gauge is hopeless. The single bow roller for the anchor isn't enough, you need a second roller for mooring buoys (I had one fitted). The cockpit seats aren't quite long enough for sunbathing.  The cockpit table is a good strong bracing point, but it is perhaps a little bit too wide.

If you have any particular questions, please send me a private message and I'll try to help.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 17 2016, 03:16 »
Above comments spot on. The advice given was what we decided upon when buying our 38 in Jan 2010.  The 2 cabin model's head is brilliant.

We had a webasto heater installed at time of purchase. Kept us warm in minus 5 degrees. Heater outlet in heads is essential. If you get a folding prop the D1-30 will require fairly high revs in reverse compared to the fixed prop. Only thing we had installed that we considered a waste was the water maker. With 370 litre water capacity never had any problem filling up, anywhere in the Med. These heaters, although they run on Diesel, do draw a fair bit of current. 10-15 amps on start up and about as much as a refrigerator whilst running.

I would not worry about a bow thruster unless you have a tight blow-off docking berth where you have to reverse in.

If you want a microwave you will need a large inverter or one of the newer 12 volt systems. They draw a large current. The wattage on the microwave is not the draw on the batteries but the power output. If you are using the boat for racing or occasional coastal trips your house bank would be OK with about 120amp/hrs. If cruising or at anchor a lot, 400 plus would be more appropriate and possibly solar panels or a wind generator as well.

The comments about the fuel gauge are correct but possibly misleading. The gauge needs calibrating. When you take delivery and the tank is almost empty, calibrate the gauge by recording the litres going in when it is 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 , full mark and actually full. On our Bav 38, 1/2 full actually means 1/3 full. The calibrated readings appear accurate and not a problem if you know the conversion.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: June 17 2016, 15:55 »
On battery capacity, think you will find 3*105AH AGM is standard for the house bank with a small AGM engine start battery plus a dedicated further 105 for the bow thruster if fitted. Charger is a 40A Cristec. That is what I have on my new 33.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #5 on: June 17 2016, 16:48 »
On battery capacity, think you will find 3*105AH AGM is standard for the house bank with a small AGM engine start battery plus a dedicated further 105 for the bow thruster if fitted. Charger is a 40A Cristec. That is what I have on my new 33.

Clipper's website says standard house bank is 2 x AGM.

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
« Reply #6 on: June 18 2016, 10:29 »
We have had our 37 just over a year. The options we chose were;

2 cabin (owners layout)
Copper coat
Long range water tanks
D1-30 engine (must have)
In mast furling
Radar
Extra house batteries (AGM)
Bow thruster
Side gates
Leatherete upholstery in saloon
Garmin 820 plotter (with network and  Bluetooth)
Spray hood/Bimini (techsew)
Depth/Pilot/Log /VHF. All integrated

These were all extras that are better fitted in the factory .

We have added;
Microwave
Heating
Brunton 2 blade prop (a must have)
Ambassador marine rope cutter
Radio/CD/MP3 player with blue tooth (Sony 7 inch 3 way speakers in saloon & 5 inch Fusion 2 way waterproof speakers in the cockpit)
Nassa Battery monitor (BM2)
Bigger hull anode (get the bigger teardrop anode specified the small one lasts 6 months)
Fridge insulation and extra fan
4KW inverter
12v power outlet in the lazerete
LED mood lighting in cockpit and saloon
Second VHF radio controller in cockpit
2KW portable gen-set
Sail tell tails (yes it did not come with them fitted!)
Wind vane
Manson supreme 35 KG anchor (the one fitted was neither use nor ornament)
Gas alarms
Smoke alarms
Galvanic isolator
12v TV/DVD

This year we are planning to fit extra winches and rig for a cruising chute.
Teak decks look nice but all that maintenance? Not for us.
We have had a few little niggles but nothing major. Yes the fuel gauge is pants even when calibrated; the holding tank alarm constantly goes off and stops any other switchboard alarms being seen, so its disconnected. The boats fast when handled right and comes alive in winds above 7 knots.
Big change from earlier boats is the sail plan.  The blade fore-sail takes some getting used to unless you have raced a modern boat.  It?s critical to get the sheet cars in the right position and the tension of the halyard/forestay /sheets right , so the groove is accelerating the air over the main. Sadly you cannot adjust these from the cockpit with the standard rig, so that?s another mod to do this year. Get it wrong and you drop 2 knots in light airs.
 Impavidus points to 35deg apparent and in 10-12 knots wind she is pulling 7-8 knots through the water.  Under power with the Brunton 8knts +
Keep the bow tank full and the diesel topped up. The boat sits and sails better. With the tail down you have a 40 footer and it makes getting in and out of the dingy really easy. Owner?s version has a massive locker/lazerete. (For all that junk you need on long trips). Make sure you specify the spray hood is tailor made to suit your height, we had to get ours remade as it was designed for a 7 foot man with 360 vision.

Make sure you are clear what comes as standard, and what does not. 
We specified kit that would be hard to retro fit, but everything else we fitted, it was not difficult.

Register you electronics on the Garmin site and download the free chart plotting software for your PC (Home port). Link your chart plotter to your IPad or IPhone to give you a second linked chart plotter (Garmin Helm free app) you also get 3 year back to boat warrantee on electronics fitted by Clipper or Bavaria. 

Great boat, I am generally very pleased, Clipper have been quick to sort out the niggles.

hope this helps.

Ant

Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 18 2016, 11:29 »
Hi I don't have a 37 but I do have a 2012 Bavaria 36 Avantgarde.  It's the same hull , 11.3 mtrs.  I am very pleased with mine. Agree a lot with what's been said before, I was lucky because the Avantgarde spec is very good so has upgrades to cockpit tables, doors, Garmin pack, laminated sails, bow thruster etc.  I didn't have the choice of going for the 30hp engine so have the 20hp, I have tried both and the bigger is nice but I have never found myself needing anything bigger then I have got.  We are pretty serious sailors and winds don't normally put us off too much so she has been tested at times. 

The extras I included were webasto heater, radar which we installed, a furling crushing chute from Elvstom called a furlstrom.  Much better then a chute with a sniffer especially if just two of you sailing. With the blade head sail, which is great up wind you will need a chute of some kind.  The Furlstom suits us nicely and can be rigged before leaving port and can stay up all day regardless of whether we are using the head sail or chute.  I also fitted a BM2 battery indicator and Navtex.  I recently fitted a Darglow feathering prop which I am very proud off. Finally for in port comfort I got some nice three inch cockpit cushions and back cushions made similar to that on the Vision.  Great boat and I think you will enjoy every bit of her for the money 😀👍

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: June 18 2016, 15:52 »

Clipper's website says standard house bank is 2 x AGM.

You are right. Bavaria are always messing about with standard gear and packages. In 2015 the extra battery and bigger charger was in the "Smart Sailing" package which included such things as in mast, bigger engine, basic instruments, rod kicker. At other times it has been a freestanding extra.

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 21 2016, 11:28 »
Impavidus, thanks for sharing picture, she looks very nice.  I particularly like the dark grey canvas work and uv strips.  Did you have the Bimini fitted post delivery and if so who did it as the fitting and chrome structure looks nicely fitted.  Thanks

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: June 21 2016, 15:57 »
The sprayhood is probably by Tec Sew and is standard colour on Clipper boats. I had my UV strips, also in the grey as in the photos, by Kemp Sails who also recut the jib luff so it furls better. Can recommend Tec Sew who also made a cockpit tonneau cover for me.

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
« Reply #11 on: June 21 2016, 22:13 »
Impavidus, thanks for sharing picture, she looks very nice.  I particularly like the dark grey canvas work and uv strips.  Did you have the Bimini fitted post delivery and if so who did it as the fitting and chrome structure looks nicely fitted.  Thanks
The sprayhood is probably by Tec Sew and is standard colour on Clipper boats. I had my UV strips, also in the grey as in the photos, by Kemp Sails who also recut the jib luff so it furls better. Can recommend Tec Sew who also made a cockpit tonneau cover for me.

Symphony is right  :kewl the Bimini is Tec sew. The construction is good quality. However I did have an issue with the shape and height of the canopy. They came back to the boat and made the modifications I drew -up. They have a web site here; http://www.tecsew.com/boat-covers
If you look through the photos you can see the work they do to new Bavaria's

You can see mods I did to their cad drawing below.

Best regards.

Ant
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #12 on: June 22 2016, 01:02 »
I had a C&J sprayhood for my 37, specified with extra windows in the side panels, which have proved to be useful.  Also had a grabrail on the hood, an important addition.

Jackho

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #13 on: July 07 2016, 22:20 »
I am seriously considering ordering a new 37 Cruiser for delivery 2017 and would be grateful for any feedback from current owners on what options to add & leave and if they are happy with their purchase.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
I have an older B37 but had all options factory fitted after viewing other Bavs with with extras fitted.  None especially the heating systems where installed to the factory standard bearing in mind the extras are fitted out in assembly and mountings glassed in. Also the electrics are fitted using the pre installed wire looms.