Author Topic: 38 Cruiser 2007, Shower drain / pump  (Read 5525 times)

Fretless

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
38 Cruiser 2007, Shower drain / pump
« on: February 13 2016, 03:33 »
Hi,
Having not had the boat long I have found the shower won't drain.

I have found and cleared the filter under the basin in the heads but still no joy. The drain in the shower recess appears to connect to a hose which comes out from under the deck moulding next to the discharge stopcock and up to said filter.

Question is; is there a flow / float switch which could be faulty or has the pump burnt out having been starved of water by the clogged filter? or some other answer I haven't thought of?

Thanks, Dave

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: 38 Cruiser 2007, Shower drain / pump
« Reply #1 on: February 13 2016, 07:22 »
On my B36(2002) there is a small black rubber covered push button just below the edge of the worktop surrounding the wash basin, it has to be pressed continuously for the sump pump to run. Additionally there is a separate switch on the main switchboard which has to be in the on position for current to be supplied as far as that push button. Suggest you check with an avometer or with a wired light bulb that you have current at the pump motor when the switch is in the on position and the button depressed. If current is present but the pump does not run, it may be that the pump itself is faulty or has a problem. If the pump does run but does not pump, that may be due to a blockage or a leaking diaphragm. If your test reveals no electricity getting to the pump, you will need to check back to the switchboard to find out why. Good luck.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: February 13 2016, 10:42 »
Good reply from Salty, my only comment is that fitting a 1 minute timed switch to the button is still the best modification I have made.

Do come back and let us know if the pump is running but not pumping or not running.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 13 2016, 21:56 »
Dave,
on our Bav 38 ( 2009) we also had problems with the pump. Found that unless the strainer cover is on very tight, it would suck air and not work.

It is a horrible job because of the access, but if you take out your pump and test it, it will probably be OK. We also had a partial blockage in the pipe just below the floor drain in the shower. Sucked this out with our Pela pump that we use for oil changes.

We also changed the soap we use on board from solid soap to a liquid soap that does not appear to create much scum and therefore not block pipes as much.

Haven't had a problem since.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast

Wayne

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #4 on: February 14 2016, 00:19 »
Hi Dave,

Have had similar problems on my 2007, Cruiser with shower blocking. A couple of simple things I tried were:

1 I bought a plumber's rubber plunger, black rubber with dowel handle and put that over shower drain outlet hole and pumped. Depending on what is causing the blockage that helped in a few instances.

2 If the filter isn't tightly screwed then pump won't work. Already mentioned. Regularly clean filters is a good idea.

3 At the marina I put a hose though window in head and pumped fresh water through outlet hole. Close door to head or worse mess created! Again, that worked depending on what is causing blockage. You will see water pouring into filter if blockage is cleared.

Above might help.

Wayne

Fretless

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 14 2016, 04:13 »
Thanks for the responses.

There was a black button but not under the bench top, it was on the board above the seat! To be fair it didn't look like a button but if it had been a bear.....

Problem solved, thanks again = )

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: February 21 2016, 07:47 »
Nigel,
The one minute timed switch you have added......is that so that you only need to push the button once for 1 minute of pumping??
Sweet As
Bav 36

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #7 on: February 21 2016, 08:43 »
Nigel,
The one minute timed switch you have added......is that so that you only need to push the button once for 1 minute of pumping??
Yes. It's quite simple: resistor, capacitor, transistor, relay. If I were doing it again I'd try a FET.

I checked with the pump manufacturer, they can run dry quite happily for several minutes.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Domi409

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B45
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 22 2016, 17:00 »
Hi,
Could you share your schematic (including values) and the one with a FET?
Thanks,
Dominique