Author Topic: Allpa Water inlet strainer Bavaria Cruiser 33  (Read 3764 times)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Allpa Water inlet strainer Bavaria Cruiser 33
« on: August 31 2015, 19:49 »
No water from exhaust . Found the thread of the ALLPA clear perspex lid had cracked all the way round the thread.
Has anybody else experienced this problem. This filter has never been opened . No need as you can see any problems

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Allpa Water inlet strainer Bavaria Cruiser 33
« Reply #1 on: August 31 2015, 22:50 »
Your problem is likely to be more than a cracked plastic cover. If the crack was sufficient to allow enough air to be sucked through the raw water system to stop all water flow you have also probably wrecked the raw water impellor. It would also pay to check if you have any water or oil leaks from the hole at the back of the raw water pump housing to see if the pump bearings have been damaged. If you have any blades missing on the raw water impellor they will most likely be stuck in the inlet to your heat exchanger. 
I am surprised that a cracked strainer cover would stop all water flow. Does the container fill with air when the motor is stopped? If not, then this would indicate other problems. It may be beneficial to disconnect the raw water inlet to the strainer and connect to your dinghy pump and pump air back along the line. This would indicate if you have a blockage between the water inlet and the strainer.
Craig
s/v "Shirley Valentine"

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: September 01 2015, 05:03 »
The previous owners of my b37cr had installed an additional seawater strainer between the vapour lock & the engine (I have no idea why!) Not long after a bought the boat, the filter broke, just as you have described. Think that this was an original product I replaced it "like for like", only to be told by my mechanic that it is not an original setup, and the strainer was not made for the water pressure created by the water pump. It was immediately removed.
My comment is to check that your strainer is rated for the pressure.

Steven
SV Konan

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: September 03 2015, 20:47 »
Thank you for the replies .

The boat was new last year . The Allpa was fitted by Bavaria I assume . I could not get a new lid so had to buy a Vetus at great expense .  And yes the impeller was damaged so  I had to replace that too.

I have sent the invoice to Clipper . I was told by the Volvo engineer no need to remove because the lid is clear plastic so it is possible to see any obstruction or debris .

I would assume the pump would suck air rather than pulling the water through the filter as it should do.
The makers of Allpa and Vetus make these filters specifically to strain sea water so I assume they would withstand the pressure .
I assume it was overtightened when new and eventually the continual pressure on the thread caused it to fail.

I was hoping to learn other people have experienced the same problem with their new boats

Regards Tony