Author Topic: Best foresail replacement for Bavaria 36  (Read 6186 times)

suibhne

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Best foresail replacement for Bavaria 36
« on: August 26 2015, 11:06 »
I have replaced old Evstrom mainsail with fully battened mainsail with excellent results.

Next sail to replace is my old original Evstrom Genoa (2003)

Measurements show that the old sail has 1.25 overlap
Recent opinion seems to indicate that a 1.1 or even 1 overlap gives some advantages.

Have any members changed the foresail and what results did they obtain?

Bryan (Oberon)

jb

• Swab
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Best foresail replacement for Bavaria 36
« Reply #1 on: August 26 2015, 22:46 »
We changed the original 2004 Genoa on our 36 to a 135% tri - radial. It is more powerful and sets well when reefed due to a tapered rope in the luff. We had to change the system for cleating  the reef line from the coaming to a clutch on the deck with a lead block on the pushpit leg as it kept slipping under load. We are really pleased with the improved performance and the sail is much easier to handle.

suibhne

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: August 27 2015, 08:28 »
Thanks JB, I too have placed a cleat just forward of the fitted jammer for the reefing line.
Was afraid that an accidental nudge could result in a rapid uncontrolled unfurling of the line with all sorts of damage.
A 1.35 Genoa would certainly give a  big increase in power when the wind is 'abaft the beam' but on my boat the rudder signals a broaching possibility even with my present 1.25 sail
The tapered rope sounds a good idea, doing a similar job to a foam luff I suppose?
The Furlex 125 mechanism claims to have eliminated the need for a tapered luff , but I am not convinced.
My present Genoa doesn't not keep a good luff profile when reefed

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 27 2015, 11:01 »
You don't say where you are based, but good idea to talk to a sailmaker (or two!) for advice. I use Kemps in Wareham and they have just recut the standard sail that came with my new 33 to put a slight curve in the luff to compensate for the forestay sag and to make furling easier without the need for a foam luff. I had one of those put in the genoa on my old 37 which is similar rig to yours and it was an improvement particularly when furled to roughly 100% size.

suibhne

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: August 27 2015, 11:32 »
Thanks Symphony

I sail mainly of West Coast of Scotland
Like you I have used Kemp( in my case for my new mainsail).
My previous boat (a Feeling) had a foam luff which worked well so I want to get information from Bavaria owners about what worked for them.
Bryan

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: August 31 2015, 19:00 »
The Furlex 125 mechanism claims to have eliminated the need for a tapered luff , but I am not convinced.
My present Genoa doesn't not keep a good luff profile when reefed

Ditto for my Bav 30. It's not so bad when reefed down to "tiny" but is awfully baggy with 3 or 4 rolls in it.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #6 on: August 31 2015, 23:49 »
On the West coast of Scotland, the best people you can speak to are Owen Sails at Benderloch near to Oban http://www.owensails.com/?q=node/10 They will give you good advice, they make excellent sails, and they can work quickly if you need an urgent replacement. They made the sails for our girls at the Olympic Games in Beijing, and our girls won. They also made me a new foresail for my B36 and it works extremely well, so maybe I'm biased, and like you it also replaced a baggy Elvstrom sail.

Bertie

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: September 02 2015, 10:38 »
HI

i replaced the genoa on my B34 with, like you, one from Kemp purchased from Niall Clarke Rigging in Northern Ireland. It is a radial cut with a foam luff and has been a great success - new main next year if the piggy bank stretches!  Give Niall a call he is a mine of information both in terms of sails and rigging. Don't think he was any dearer than going direct to Kemp and his advice was priceless. His number is 07916 083 858 and definitely worth a chat - mention me if you call.

Cheers

Bertie Notley

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #8 on: September 02 2015, 14:54 »
Murray at NH sails , based in Roseneath by the gareloch , so west coast ;)
, has made me  superb sails , our b38 goes like a rocket with them , ask him about his Vectran cloth sails , you will not be dissapointed ,

http://www.nh-sails.co.uk/