Author Topic: Bavaria 44 (2002) teak deck removal??  (Read 237 times)

tadej.mezek

• Cadet
Bavaria 44 (2002) teak deck removal??
« on: July 06 2019, 16:35 »
HI

Teak deck on my B44 (2002) is in bad condition. I acquired the boat in this condition and I think it can't be repaired. Many of the black stripes are teared off, several thin teak deck parts lifted ... and there arre numerous signs and cracks lateral and longitudinal (thin teak was glued on thin balsa core and both together to deck with a ). On some places it is seen there is a regular non slip deck down below - looks like new ... I tried on several cca 10mm holes which deteriorated to the point that nothing is below - I was scrubbing the black sealant with a finger and from what I see it looks like the deck shall be as new if one can remove the teak deck - (and polish it to remove the black coulking).
Anyone know in what condition is the top deck if teak is completely removed? (sanded etc?). Was anyone trying to remove the teak deck? I think relevant answers are from owners from same type of boat and year of manufacture

Apart from reinstalling few deck gear and few (cca 20 all together-  4mm holes (from factory teak deck installation process) is there anything else to be expected?

Symphony

• Old Salt
Re: Bavaria 44 (2002) teak deck removal??
« Reply #1 on: July 07 2019, 23:00 »
The teak faced deck is glued (vacuum bagged) onto the standard deck moulding which has the non slip pattern. However it is unlikely that you will be able to remove the decking and still have a usable non slip GRP deck. The glue used is intended to stay stuck so you will have to remove it mechanically which will inevitably result in some damage to the GRP surface. There are various ways of refinishing the deck. Perhaps the most common is making good the damage, filling and fairing to get an fair surface then applying a non slip coating, either a regular deck paint such as Interdeck or perhaps a more sophisticated coating such as KiwiGrip. Alternatively you could fit a new prefabricated teak deck, a plastic teak substitute (there are several brands) or a cork deck such as Marinedeck2000.

basta350

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: July 08 2019, 17:05 »
Symphony,
I also have a Bavaria 37, Exclusive model, 2001, with the original teak decks, which are nearing the end of their usable lifespan and I was wondering if you had had teak decks on your boat and had removed them... and if so can you give any insight and detail to that project, such as difficulties encountered, techniques used, time to completion, DIY or professional assistance? Thanks.

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 08 2019, 18:21 »
Fortunately my 37 (same age as yours) did not have teak decks, only teak in the cockpit. I bought it new and specifically avoided the teak deck as it was first used as a charter boat. It spent 9 years in Corfu and the teak in the cockpit lasted well except for the area aft where there is a slight dip and water lies. Some of the caulking needed replacing which was not too difficult.

However I think you have to accept that removing a worn out deck is a major task. As I said in the earlier reply the adhesive used is intended to stick permanently so even though the worn teak strips may come of relatively easily with a chisel, either manual or powered you will still have to grind off the residue of glue to get to clean GRP before you apply your new finish. This is a back breaking and labour intensive job. Done professionally and refinished in a non slip surface such as KiwiGrip you are probably looking at a bill up to 20-25% of the value of the boat, most of which will be labour. DIY of course is much more economic and relatively unskilled, except for filling and fairing before refinishing which requires patience.

Real dilemma. If you want to keep the boat long term then it might be worth biting the bullet and doing the job as you will get the long term benefit out of the cost/effort - as well as enhancing the value of the boat (or at least making it more attractive if you do sell). Alternatively, before it gets too bad, sell it and pass the future problem onto somebody else!

tadej.mezek

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: July 10 2019, 22:59 »
Hi

Thanks for reply.
Well as far as i was looking and testing the fairing compound is blackish like sika which I think is possible to remove without any damage to the boat decks. But the job is tedious. I would use a polishing like device to do it, not grinder. I believe Acetone and similar organic compouns do soften this old material...so it is easier to remove it.
I am sure there is someone around who has already done this?

Inneither case I think one can try to do it - if the result is not satisfying you can then check for other options.

Best regards

basta350

• Cadet
« Reply #5 on: July 13 2019, 00:02 »
If you tackle this teak deck replacement could you post the process and result, thanks

tadej.mezek

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: July 13 2019, 21:25 »
Hi

I am in a thinking process of what to do, so will most probably not start until late fall or early winter. Meanwhile, we are still searching for someone who did this already?? I am sure there must be someone who did this. But I believe the techniques by Bavaria was changing over the years, so I believe we must get an insight from someone with he boat year of 2002 or very close to …
Best regards and will keep update this post if I find any new information.

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 14 2019, 09:06 »
Our boat is from 2001 and I've found the same - the teak deck is glued straight onto the square pattern GRP non-slip. I think it would be very difficult to remove all the caulking out of the pattern, even if you managed to pry off the teak without damaging the underlying gelcoat too much. There'd still be areas to repair first and the only thing we found to dissolve the caulking (unfortunately) was laundry detergent (Ariel, for whites), and that just turn it into a sticky mess.

Very interested in how it goes if you attempt this.
Sailing Songbird (Blog & YouTube)  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)