Author Topic: B32 erratic RPM indication  (Read 5845 times)

Targa

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2015
B32 erratic RPM indication
« on: August 22 2012, 18:30 »
I have a 2010 Bavaria 32 fitted with a volvo D 20 engine.The engine starts and runs normally but the rpm indication is very erratic - idle indicates correctly but as the throttle is advanced  it flicks up to almost full scale deflection. Whilst checking things i noticed that there is a pink wire that has become disconnected but cannot determine where from. Any ideas where this wire should be reconnected and is it related to the erratic rpm indications. the photo shows the disconnected wire viewed from the access panel in the shower.

Targa

• Swab
Re: B32 erratic RPM indication
« Reply #1 on: August 22 2012, 18:36 »
Sorry, this is the photo I meant to post.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: August 23 2012, 09:42 »
If you look in your Owners Manual, there should be a wiring diagram. If you need help with it, post a copy here.

Normally the tachometer is fed from the alternator. If so, can you get a picture of the connections on your alternator, and the model?
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Targa

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: August 24 2012, 03:35 »
The diagram in the owners manual is not much help; it is more a picture of where the various electrical components are distributed around the yacht rather than a more typical car type wiring diagram. With the latter I'm sure I could resolve the disconnected wire issue.
Next time on the yacht I'll check the alternator connections.

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: August 24 2012, 07:48 »
Looks to me like a bit of heat shrink sleaving has been put on the crimp to protect from shorting against the engine, which would indicate it was not used.

Targa

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: February 25 2013, 03:56 »
Problem solved - took a photo of the installation on the B33 at the London Boat Show and compared it with mine then found the elusive terminal that the wire plugs on to.

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: February 25 2013, 04:48 »
Problem solved - took a photo of the installation on the B33 at the London Boat Show and compared it with mine then found the elusive terminal that the wire plugs on to.

Where did connect to

Targa

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: February 28 2013, 01:11 »
There is a hole on the back of the alternator inside which is a terminal to connect to - virtually impossible to see unless you know where to look. I'll add the photo when I can find it again.