Author Topic: How often runs the fresh water pump?  (Read 6494 times)

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
How often runs the fresh water pump?
« on: September 06 2015, 17:20 »
It appears that several time a day my fresh water pump runs for 3-5 seconds to rebuild pressure. I had the case when it ran much more and it turned out that one hose was leaking. Now it seems that the pump goes off for more times again.
Is that normal or shall it be absolutely quiet. I have to mention we are at sea or rocky anchor places, the boat is not still, ergo some air might be moving in the pipes.
Thanks for any informative input.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: How often runs the fresh water pump?
« Reply #1 on: September 07 2015, 08:04 »
I have noticed on my boat (B37 2006) that the pump goes on for 1 second on occasion - usually heard early in the morning. At first I noticed it at anchor and thought it was motion settling the air in the pump but it has done it on a pontoon too when the boat was quite stable. These occurrences are rare so I haven't investigated too much, only to check that all the taps are turned off or not leaking (heads, galley and transom shower). It is not happening enough on my boat to suggest a leak in the pipework as I expect that would make it a regular event. If yours is more regular I think it time to get the tissue out - best way to find wet joints  :o

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 07 2015, 09:37 »
It may not be a pipe leak.  The pump is turned on by a pressure switch.  If the pressure drops, the pump will run briefly.  A pipe leak could cause the pressure to drop, or it could be the internal valves in the pump leaking and allowing water to flow back towards the tank.  You can buy replacement valve kits for most pumps.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 07 2015, 17:10 »
Ever since new (about 4 years) our main water pump has "primed" itself about 2/3 times a day for about a 1 second.  I have checked all over for leaks and can't find one, so don't worry about it as its such a small occurrence.  If its got more frequent or the bursts got longer, then an investigation would be due.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: September 07 2015, 17:48 »
The Shurflo/Aqua King/Flojet pumps have a non-return valve that holds the pressure when the pump is idle. This may have a miniscule leak (often caused by debris) where some water flows back through the pump, thus slowly losing pressure back into the tank. Unlike a leaky hose, this isn't noticeable because there's no puddles. The aforementioned pumps are easy to disassemble and clean, so may be worth checking.

The valve is just a membrane, the center one labeled 2 here: http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/product_images/shurflo_lge.jpg
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

BillGiles

• Second Mate
« Reply #5 on: September 08 2015, 17:17 »
On our B36 the pump is under the rear bunk and if it goes off in the night it can startle the sleeping occupants! We had a similar thing, there was no external leak so the pump was turned off when not in use. Eventually the pump gave up and we refurbished it. No more leaks, so I am pretty certain that it was an internal leak causing the occasional bust of life. We still switch it off at night as the occasional late night teeth cleaner/face washer/hand washer uses the tap in the heads.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: September 11 2015, 15:52 »
Thanks guys for your reassurance. I decided that due to the age of the pump it just shall be accepted or I replace it some time. I couldn't find a leak, as I had once before, so it's just the pipe's age related incontinence  ;).
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

solar

« Reply #7 on: September 12 2015, 15:59 »
Also fighting lately those small leaks and pump activations after replacing the QL water heater on my 2008/38.
Any time I Touch the pipes near the heater one of the pipe connections start a leak...
Anyone have a some tricks how to live with this plumbing system?
Thanks

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #8 on: September 12 2015, 16:37 »
Also fighting lately those small leaks and pump activations after replacing the QL water heater on my 2008/38.
Any time I Touch the pipes near the heater one of the pipe connections start a leak...
Anyone have a some tricks how to live with this plumbing system?
Thanks

That should probably be a separate thread. Anyways, what sort of connections are they? Mine are all Speedfit ones and none of them leak after 15 years (I don't think they've been replaced or serviced before). The ones I did take apart to service the pump, I checked the o-rings inside the fittings and put a little silicone grease on to keep them happy.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

solar

« Reply #9 on: September 12 2015, 17:16 »
Mine are Original pipes from Bav the quick con type.
Will try the silicone  move...

BillGiles

• Second Mate
« Reply #10 on: September 14 2015, 19:29 »
The pipe parts are easily obtainable - even B&Q sells them now.